Friday, July 10, 2009

Chinese Trains

Chinese Trains

Last Thursday, my view on trains was rocked by a new discovery: The Chinese train. I don’t know if these trains actually come from China. After being raised with such Americans traditions as Chinese Firedrills and Chinese Freezetag, I am skeptical of this tag. Nonetheless though, these trains are much newer than the old Soviet things I’m accustomed to. The bathrooms are far nicer, and actually have a green/red switch that shows when the door is locked. However, platscart on them is covcem (absolutely) different.

Rather than the regular four beds in the room area and two in the hall, all six beds are in the room area. They stack three high on each side, leaving very little room for luggage. I didn’t like it. I felt like I was in an open, crowded kupets with no place to put my bag. There was no friendly atmosphere full of fun and excitement. If you ever take the Almaty-Aktobe train, really consider buying kupets.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hope we wont be riding this one when we travel

hannah said...

The train I took from Shanghai to Beijing had the same problem - no space for luggage. The bed was fairly comfortable, at least...

Thought you might be interested in this link - it's from one of the top blogs covering Central Asia.

http://www.registan.net/index.php/2009/07/03/kazakh-roundup-july-2009/