Friday, July 27, 2007

In Transition/Updates

Summer is almost over. It seemed like only a week ago, I was living in Athens and graduating. Now I am almost ready to pack all my stuff and head up to Illinois. Like I normally do, I've adjusted to life in Savannah for the summer. It has been a strange period of time. For some of my friends (like Trey, Lauren, etc.) they are already doing something with TFA. For others (like Brad), they went on trips (and Karen). And then for a lot of people, our lives have been stalled out. I know what I am going to be doing for the next three years, but that doesn't start until August. I guess I had two months of freedom. So what did I do with it? I got a job at PetSmart and earned some money. Hopefully I made enough to pay for graduate school and expenses over the next year. Since I have no idea of what I will have to spend to live in Normal, it's hard to budget.

Well that's not all I did this summer. I made an awesome road trip. I had some fun with friends who came down to visit. I had fun with friends who are in Savannah. I played a bunch of frisbee, and didn't go dancing nearly enough. I read some books (although I would have liked to have read more). Thought about stuff. Gave a lot of platelets. Organized my finances. And learned how to juggle. (Well, we'll have to wait and see on that one, but right now, I'm moving in the right direction.)

I am ready to move up to Illinois though. I am ready to get my journey started. Although, I can't say I'm not nervous. I'll be moving into a house I haven't seen with people I don't know to start a program I really don't know that much about. (Although my roommates recently revealed their love of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, and honestly, I feel a lot more at ease). There are of course general worries about fitting in with a new group, making friends, adjusting to the climate, and keeping up with classes. But I'm not too too worried.

Onto some PC stuff. I have had my medical exam done and just need to send off the results. Well I need to get some vaccinations first, I think. That do say mandatory, so it would seem like they want those done. I am waiting to give blood a couple more times before I do that though. I have my dentist exam scheduled for next week and have been flossing religiously in preparation of that.

On my program's front, I will be a graduate assistant for the economics department. I don't know what that means, and actually won't go to orientation for that until the Friday before classes start. Research, helping in a classroom, both, something else? I don't know. I also found out that the capstone part of my program has been moved from Spring semester to summer semester or Peace Corps. I was specifically looking for a program that would not require me to be distracted from my Peace Corps experience with a major research paper. Whether this is good or not could be debated, but that's what I decided. I'm a little concerned that I may have to do that now, but that's life right. I'll roll with it and see how it turns out.

For now, I'll just enjoy the heat, humidity, and the insects a little longer. Then I'm moving up to Illinois come the 12th.

No comments: