Monday, September 1, 2008

Kazakhstan!

We're in our second week of training now. I haven't been able to get much Internet because there are twenty of us and one computer with very slow dialup. We should be getting DSL zaftra (meaning tomorrow, meaning some point in the future, maybe). Training is super busy, with four hours of language class a day and then four more hours of class in the afternoon covering more technical aspects. We then have time to go home, eat, drink chai (tea), more chai, do our homework and go to bed.

I'm in the OCAP training group, and we are in a town about half an hour outside of Almaty that has about 50,000 people. I live on the fifth floor of an apartment building with a sweet host mom and a host brother (who speaks some English). There's a host sister too, but she's at school during the week. In more recent news, I'm trying to do Ramadan with my family, as they are practicing Muslims. It's only day two, but so far, it's not that bad. We wake up at 4am to eat a hearty "breakfast" (meaning leftovers from the night before, so it's not typical breakfast food), and then we go back to bed. How you're supposed to fall asleep immediately after four cups of tea, I'm not sure yet, but I think I'll catch on. Then we get a big meal as soon as the sun goes down. They seem excited that I'm doing it with them, and I'm all about trying to integrate as much as possible.

More stories will come soon, as I have more time on the computer. Expect hearing about my first laundry experience and thoughts on Kazakh professional dress. I don't get to check my email regularly, but feel free to email me. I'll get to it eventually. :)

No comments: